The Sustainable Jersey movement is a direct outgrowth of this. They get companies like Office Depot to give grants to municipalities that clear certain environmental hurdles. If you read the Sustainable Jersey you will find articles like this 34 NJ Towns Receive Grants for Community-Based Sustainability Projects .
ICLEI is the organization that thinks these things up. It was started expressly to implement the goals of Agenda 21 and they are doing just that. This is an example.
How can we fight it?
1) Protest companies like Office Depot. There ARE alternatives.
2) Make sure that your municipality is NOT an ICLEI member. Remember that grants have strings. ICLEI arranges the grants, so if your municipality does not participate…
3) Every municipality that participates in Sustainable Jersey must have a “green team”. Most are populated by environmental activists but most are also lacking full membership. Join your green team to provide common sense alternatives to the “sustainability” stuff that the left is proposing.
4) Subscribe to ICLEI newsletters and blogs to get advance notice of their initiatives.
5) Join organizations like Together North Jersey to provide conservative influence to the plans and policies they are proposing.
6) Try to prevent your municipality from taking “free” money in the form of grants from the Federal Government, State Government, NGO’s or corporations. They all have strings that will reduce your freedom and increase your taxes. Participation in your municipal government on boards, in council meetings, and even in electoral politics will help stem the tide. Remind everyone that there is no such thing as a free lunch.
7) Join your local tea party.
The article on Office Depot and ICLEI follows.
Office Depot Partners with ICLEI—Local Governments for Sustainability
USA to Expand Green Business Challenge to More Cities Nationwide
Four New Cities Receive Funding to Launch Friendly Competitions to
Encourage Environmental Sustainability among Local Businesses
BOCA RATON, Fla., May 01, 2014 (BUSINESS WIRE) —
Office Depot, Inc., a leading global provider of office
products, services, and solutions
formed by the merger of Office
Depot and OfficeMax, today announced it is encouraging businesses in
additional cities nationwide to ‘go green’ through expansion of the
national Green Business Challenge in partnership with ICLEI-Local
Governments for Sustainability USA.
Recipients of the Office Depot Green Business Challenge grant are
Cupertino, Calif.; Houston; Lexington, Ky.; and West Palm Beach, Fla.
The cities were selected after a national call for applications.
Each city will receive an implementation grant pac
via Office Depot Partners with ICLEI—Local Governments for Sustainability USA to Expand Green Business Challenge to More Cities Nationwide – MarketWatch.